Thursday, March 10, 2005

So, Anyway...

So, anyway...where was I? Right now, I'm listening to The Paupers' Ellis Island album. What a great band. Underrated? Maybe. I don't even know what underrated means these days. Underrated by who? The public at large? Other musicians? Music writers? I don't think I care anymore. I like it. And if I play it for someone else, they might like it too! That's good enough for me. "South Down Road" is admirable American psych-rock. I never want that song to end. The string arrangement on it works like a charm up against the wiggy guitars.
So, anyway, I'm so happy to be writing for Decibel Magazine. Extremely happy. Shit, I don't know how confessional I should be on here. I don't go out of my way to slag people. Let's just say that my feelings about writing for Decibel are the polar opposite of my feelings about writing for another magazine recently that shall remain nameless. Not because of anything that nameless magazine did! I'm always very flattered whenever anyone shows an interest in my stuff. I mean, who wouldn't be, right? Just that they weren't the right fit for me. Or vice versa. Plus, they paid almost nothing. And that has to be something I consider if I'm gonna be writing for someone that I'm not all that into. Right? That's the other thing. My new hero over at Decibel asked me to interview a band and for various reasons I didn't end up doing it (band-member didn't get back to me in time, etc.), and I realized that even though doing that kind of thing meant making more money than writing reviews, that it wasn't the kind of thing I wanted to do. I'm not a journalist. I hate talking to people. It was kind of a relief to realize that. I just want to have fun! Not that I couldn't do that sort of thing. I could. It just doesn't interest me much. It kinda sucks to turn down free money (see, at the last possible minute i coulda CALLED one of the band-members on their cell-phone and THAT'S when it hit me like a ton of bricks that I had a really big aversion to this kinda thing. I don't even answer my own phone. It all ended well. The band-member appreciated the kind words about their band that I wrote in the e-mail to them and they were interviewed by someone else and I'm sure they did a great job.), but what are you gonna do when you've spent 36+ years creating a vaguely misanthropic persona for yourself? Where am I going with all this? I just wanted to say that Decibel is the coolest and I never thought I would be able to write the way I like to write for a magazine like that. They are a mighty big exception in the field. Long may they reign or rule or wave or something. I'll cross my fingers. I can't remember the last time I saw a magazine start out so good. When Chuck Eddy made me a writer in 1999, I had no idea what I was doing or where it would lead. I still don't really know what I'm doing, but it has definitely led to some interesting places.
So, anyway..."Yes I Know" by The Paupers is one of the coolest songs you could ever hope to hear.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home