Sunday, January 09, 2005

Hey Scott, What Have You Been Listening To The Last Few Days?

I'm so glad you asked! Lots of stuff. First of all, I really need a CD burner. Something simple and reliable. I need to be able to burn vinyl onto CD. I really do. I've put it off long enough. I've been digging around trying to find stuff for a cool electro mix-tape and it suddenly dawned on me that I am still making mix-tapes. Oh, and latin freestyle stuff too. The 80's were wild, weren't they? I can't locate my "Bugger Groove" 12-inch. I found some other phat stuff though. As well as lots of non-electro, non-freestyle singles. I also seem to have a large number of singles that aren't that great, but are apparently not horrible enough for me to get rid of. Anyway, single-wise, here is what I have been spinning in Der Haus Ov Wax. And hey, it looks like Maria and I will have our own radio show soon on the new local low power FM station that is starting up here in Paradise City. (A small island off of the coast of Cape Cod.) But, alas, they are not planning on streaming/webcasting cuz they are worried about fees to pay and such. Oh well. You will have to be one of the lucky people within the 3.5 mile radius that the transmitter reaches. (Which does mean that summer resident Spike Lee will be grooving to my japanoise rock blocks!) So, this weekend:

Fonda Rae - Heobah (Hey-O-Bah) - (Posse -1983)

Jedi Knights - Intergalactic Funk Transmission (?) - (Clear - 1995) I don't like this. A dollar bin thing I picked up. I have no idea what the deal is with it. Mid-90's 80's-retro electro funky like a robot monkey stuff, but it's just boring.

Monie Love - Grandpa's Party (The Love II Love Remix) - (Cooltempo - 1989) Awww, Monie! How could you not love her? Sooooooooo adorable. Where is she now? Where is Nellee Hooper? That's kinda rhetorical actually. I don't really need to know where Nellee is. But if you see Monie, tell her hi from me!

Divine Styler - Concept Design Deflon - (Mowax -2000) He's my hero. What can I tell you? I didn't PICK him to be my hero. It just turned out that he was my hero.

Future Now - Space Games - (Salsoul - 1982) I actually didn't play this. Can't remember what it sounds like, but I think I dig it.

Maggotron - Return To The Planet Of Bass - (Atlantic - 1988) I wonder how Atlantic made out with Maggotron? It's a good question, isn't it? The a-side is treated with permajam, the b-side is not.

M.C. Holiday - The Gucci Man - (Fever - 1986)

Baroque Bordello - Today - (ALG - 1984) This is not electro. It sounds like the Cure with a girl singer. How do I know this? Because someone wrote "Like the Cure with a girl singer" in magic marker on the cover of my copy. That's how I know. Plus, it was produced by Lol "Laughing Boy" Tolhurst of the Cure.

Girls On The Block - Little Bicho - (Criminal - 1988) This is so genius there oughta be a law against it. Holy frijole! I loveitloveitloveit. Gawd, the girlz would eat J-Lo for breakfast. Freestyle mania and the a cappella girlz talk on the b-side is worth its weight in gold. Inspirational and funny as hell.

A Certain Ratio - Blown Away - (Factory - 1980) I had forgotten how groovy this single is. Psych post-punk drum splatter and heavy bass fun. I still don't think I'm much of a fan of their later funkier stuff, but maybe I'm wrong. I will have to listen to the later stuff again sometime.

Freez - I.O.U. - (Streetwise - 1982) The album. Not the single. Although that, of course, is on the album. "Pop Goes My Love" is great. Aw hell, I could mainline this stuff. Somewhere I have John Rocca's 1987 I.O.U. remixes, but for the life of me I can't remember what he did to the song to make it sound like 1987. Probably didn't make it any better. I'll put money on that.

Warp 9 - Beat Wave - (Prism - 1983) Nice John Jellybean electro track. The instrumental being my preferred listen. Vocals are a little hokey.

Raw Dope Posse - Listen To My Turbo - (Show Jazz - 1988) This is not electro. It's your so-called hip-hop rappity rap kinda stuff and the music is fierce and it will cut you up and leave you bloody. I play the instrumental side of this thing really loud and my smile just keeps getting bigger and bigger. It's like magic!

Scorpio - (Go Michael) Air Jordan - (Criminal - 1986) Again with the non-vocal versions. But I can't help it. I like the Jordan mythologizing and all, bbbbbbut Arthur Baker is cutting shit up with Jazzy Jay and it is SO DAMNED dope. I'm sorry. Sue me.

That's it for now. Oh, I could go on for days and days with rhyme displays that engrave as deep as x-rays. No, really, I could!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home